Lunes, Setyembre 19, 2011

Chronicles of the sweet tooth problem III, or, the ways to relieve PMS.

Most people think that PMS symptoms are "normal", that we're supposed to feel like that just before we get our period. But that isn't right, PMS is a disorder and we can do something to eliminate it. By following a few methods described in the book, 25  natural ways to relieve PMS, maybe we won't have to suffer anymore. :)

Now, in the book, each of the 25 ways was discussed in a chapter. I can't exactly do that herecoz that'd be boring, right? I've chosen stuff that I think is important. If you want more info about things, message me. Arayt? Let's start:


1. Hello good food, goodbye PMS!

Creating a balance of good food is a little tricky for women with PMS. What we eat-- or what we don't eat-- can make a major difference in the way our body responds. Eating fruit (eaten without protein/fiber) can send your blood sugar soaring at first, then crashing down, bringing along intense irritability, dizziness, fatigue, or aggression.

To guide us in making the necessary changes in our diet,  below is the simplified list that we should follow :
  • Eat all the fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes that you want.
  • Limit your intake of low-fiber foods made from refined grains ( white bread, pasta, white rice, cake, cookies, etc.)
  • Eat small amounts of meat, fish or poultry as a protein source. Legumes and eggs are also okay. (Note: limit eggs to three/week)
  • Don't eat fried foods or foods cooked in more than 1-2 tsp. of oil
  • Limit added fats and avoid saturated fats
  • Eat or drink two to three servings of non-fat dairy products
  • Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
  • Cut back on CASS : Caffeine, Alcohol, Sugar and Salt.
2. Can the caffeine
Irritability, Anxiety, Mood Swings, Insomnia, depletion of B vitamins and breast tenderness-- those are just some of the things excessive caffeine can give us.

More important for women with PMS to know is that it takes longer for our body to break down caffeine during the last two weeks of our cycle. Saying no to caffeine forever is the best option but that might be impossible for some people so cutting back on consumption two weeks before period is an alternative, it would still make some positive difference for sure. 

Warning: Cut back gradually if you're used to drinking more than two cups of coffee or a couple of caffeine-containing soft drinks per day. Caffeine narrows our blood vessels. If you stop abruptly, blood vessels will widen unnaturally and may cause major headaches.

3. Abstain from Alcohol

I actually have no problem with this coz I'm not much of an alcohol drinker. I am actually allergic to alcohol. But here are the major reasons why women with PMS should abstain :
  • Alcohol exacerbates estrogen excess
  • Alcohol interferes with aborption and utilization of B vitamins. If  you're low in B vitamins, you're more likely to feel tired, irritable, bloated and sleepless
  • Alcohol is destructive to magnesium. Without enough of magnesium, you'll suffer from mood swings, appetite disturbances, confusion, depression, crams and loss of coordination.
  • Alcohol interferes with normal glucose metabolism.
  • Alcohol decreases the desire to eat, compromising your nutritional status.
  • Alcohol is a depressant. It can intensify feelings of hopelessness and despair.
  • Alcohol packs a mightier punch during PMS phase. during the week or so before your period, tolerance to alcohol drops.
4. Skip the sugar



Cutting back on sweets when we're dying  for it seems crazy, I know! Sugar is not a friend wfor women with PMS, it's an enemy. Here are the reasons why sugar is the last thing we need when we're having PMS :
  • It makes us moody, irritable, fatigued and weak
  • It can exacerbate estrogen excess. High estrogen makes us feel bloated and anxious
  • It can worsen progesterone deficiency 
  • It works against good nutrition
5. Shun the salt
I'm in this salty food craving now. I'm finished with the sweet phase. If I give in some of the things I might have to face will be: premenstrual water retention, bloating, weight gain, breast swelling, and/or breast tenderness. So I guess I shouldn't, right?

Please forgive the very long post. I tried to keep the info at a minimum but there's just so many things I want to share to you. More on the ways on my next post. :)
______________________________________________
Reference: Taylor, N. 25 ways to relieve PMS (2002). Chicago : Contemporary Books

2 komento:

  1. I dunno if I have this 'sweet tooth'. Diabetes is common in our ancestral tree and lucky me, my blood sugar is still in the minimal level; and hope it'll lasts.

    What I do -- if you're interested -- is to balance my eating habits. (I'm repeating what you said. hahaha!) Sweets, salty, spicy. Every other day, that is. And lots and lots of water. Yes, water!

    A good read. :)

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Hi Vallarfax! Thanks for dropping by!

    Diabetea runs in my family's blood too! My sister was even diagnosed with it when she was in Grade Six. I agree with deinking lots and lots of water. That's my 'secret' too.

    I am glad you find it as a good read, thanks!:)

    TumugonBurahin